Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Week 7, Thing 16: Wikis

As I went through the discovery resources for this exercise and looked at some of the wikis that are used for library purposes, the most interesting thing to me was that the very thing that makes wikis so appealing and easy to use can also be harmful and cause problems. The fact that (unless it is restricted) anyone can edit and remove content from articles would have me wary about the credibility of a source like this. In my experience at Carroll Community College, teachers are hesitant to allow articles from sites like Wikipedia as a research source. However, I do like the idea of using wikis in collaborative group efforts. To have one place where people can post and edit progress on a project and share ideas is great, especially when those people may be spread apart geographically. Like all things technology related, wikis have a good side and a bad side.

No comments: