Thursday, June 28, 2007

Week 4, Thing 8: RSS Feeds

RSS - it is really simple! I had never used RSS before this exercise. I had heard of it before and seen the little orange symbol on various websites that I visit regularly, but I didn't even know what it stood for. The first two parts of this exercise weren't that hard. I used the first discovery resource listed - "RSS in plain English" - in order to learn more about it. Once I watched the very simple video explanation, I decided to move right along and try it myself. I think if I had looked at all the resources, I would have just confused myself! Anyway, I created my own Bloglines account next and the Bloglines tutorial was a big help with that. You really can't get lost if you follow that along. I added 10 newsfeeds, just like the post says, and I added some of the ones it recommended. I did all that yesterday, so it was really neat to go online today to my Bloglines account and see what items were newly added in my newsreader. I like the fact that it puts all of my most used or visited information all in one place and it's really great to use if you don't have a lot of time to browse around. However, I still like visiting different websites and I don't think I would ever use RSS feeds solely. You never know though! Finally, here is my public Bloglines account: http://www.bloglines.com/public/purplebirdsnest . Happy browsing!

No comments: