Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Week 9, Thing 22: Downloadable Audiobooks

This exercise was probably the least interesting to me out of all of them so far. I think audiobooks tend to be on two different ends of the spectrum: there are people who can't live without them and then there are people who can't stand them. I don't really think there is middle ground with audiobooks. I, for one, am definitely not a big fan. I have listened to a few different audiobooks over the years and for some reason, it makes reading more of a chore for me. I have a really hard time remembering what I heard ("read") as opposed to when I sit down and read the book myself. The only instance where it worked well for me was using an audiotape to listen to Shakespeare's "Othello" for a literature class, and even then I read along in the book as I was listening. Okay, enough about me and audiobooks. :) I went to CCPL's website to see if I could find one of the free subscription audiobook services. Sure enough, it was right there on the front page. CCPL uses Overdrive eBooks. Once I logged in, I browsed around a bit, looking at the classic literature and nonfiction sections as well as some of the movie titles. I also tried searching for some subjects and authors, but for some reason it didn't pull up any results. Overall, I think this is a nice tool for people to use, but I probably won't be one of them!

No comments: